Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday the 13th

It's fair to say that Meredith had an off day yesterday. Her tantrums began early in the morning when we got to school. Before we even got to her classroom she was engaged in a full blown tantrum. I took her to playroom to give her space to fully explore the depths of her tantrum, this took about ten minutes. Then we went to the classroom and everything was fine until I walked out the door. I listened to the beginnings of tantrum number two as I walked down the hall. When I arrived to pick her up in the afternoon, I was given a report from her teachers stating that she had two more tantrums throughout the day. Then we were off to Uncle Ian's for the night, while mom went and did more work. I left Uncle Ian with a warning of her tantrum day and hoped for the best. She wasn't quite done yet though. She gave Uncle Ian a taste of her impressive tantrum skills when they were leaving McDonald's and again when it was bedtime.

My mom suggested that this was just a symptom of the strange things that are known to happen on Friday the 13th. I decided to be cautious and took her to the doctor this morning. She has had nasal and chest congestion for the past ten days, so I wondered if it hadn't turned into an ear or sinus infection. After an exam and a swab test, we quickly discovered that she has Strep throat. One antibiotic later, we seem to be set to have a tantrum free weekend (I hope).

No comments: